Many Americans strive to cook the perfect Thanksgiving turkey every year. However, it’s often the sides that guests remember most. These two amazing side dishes are guaranteed to wow your friends and family this Thanksgiving.
What you’ll need:
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium onion
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Peel and dice the carrots. Chop the onion and grate one large garlic clove.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions to the butter mixture, then stir in the garlic.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon cumin and a teaspoon of dried thyme.
- Add the carrots into the mixture and stir until the carrots are coated with the spices and onions.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pan with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Bring the entire mixture to a boil and cook it over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the broth is gone. Stir the carrots a few times while cooking.
- Remove carrots from the heat once they’re caramelized and serve warm.
Orange Sage Sweet Potatoes with Bacon
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate (thawed)
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons butter (cut)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (crushed)
- 4 slices cooked bacon (crumbled)
- Drop the sweet potatoes into a 5-quart slow cooker.
- Stir the orange juice concentrate, salt, brown sugar, sage and thyme together in a small bowl. Pour over the potatoes.
- Toss to coat, then drop the butter chips into the cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for about 5 to 6 hours.
- Toss the bacon crumbles into the slow cooker and stir again before serving.